Having a cold or allergy is no fun, and keeping tissues handy is a welcome relief to those with annoying sniffles. This clever tissue holder fits a personal size tissue pack and the swivel latch hook keeps it handy in your purse, backpack or on your key-ring.
Finished Size of Project: 3 ½” x 5 ¼” (8.89cm x 13.36cm)
Scraps of five coordinating prints, or 1/8 yd (11.43cm) each (shown: Kaffe Fassett Collective prints)
1 Tim Holtz Eclectic Elements Swivel Latch hook, 1” (2.54cm)
1 ½” x 2” (3.81cm x 5.08cm) scrap of fusible interfacing
From each of three prints, cut:
1 rectangle, 4” x 5 3/4” (10.16cm x 14.61cm), for sides and back
From each of the two remaining prints, cut:
1 square, 4” (10.16cm), for ends
From any one print, cut:
1 rectangle, 1 ½” x 2” (3.81cm x 5.08cm), for tab
Seams are ¼” (.64cm).
Preparing the Tissue Holder Front
- Select one of the 4” x 5 3/4” (10.16cm x 14.61cm) rectangle for the tissue holder back and set aside.
- Fold and press the remaining 4” x 5 3/4” (10.16cm x 14.61cm) rectangles in half lengthwise, wrong sides together forming double strips 2” x 5 3/4” (5.08cm x 14.61cm).
- Fold and press each 4” (10.16cm) square in half, wrong sides together.
- Lay out the folded pieces on the table surface with the pressed folds toward the center and weave them together as shown.
- Baste the outer edges together a scant ¼” (.64cm) from the cut edges.
Assemble the Tab
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric tab piece.
- Fold both long edges to the center of the tab wrong side and press. Topstitch the folded edges.
- Thread the tab through the swivel latch loop and baste the raw ends together. Baste the tab cut end to the tissue holder front end corner, just over ¼” (.64cm) from the edge.
Assembling the Tissue Holder
- Place the tissue holder front and back rectangles right sides together, aligning the raw edges and having the swivel latch tab between.
- Stitch around the outer edges of the holder. Zigzag the seam allowances together.
- Turn the holder right side out and fill with a tissue pack.