All Things Bright and Beautiful!

IMG_0119

I’ve been practicing my embroidery. After trying out two designs on muslin with no purpose other than to serve as a practice example, I went in to ‘Just Do It‘ mode.

I grabbed a very old denim jacket out of a closet and began to explore the embroidery designs which came with my machine. My plan was to sew whatever struck my fancy….

IMG_0119 2

and little by little I covered the back of the jacket.

IMG_0110

Had I googled ‘Embroidered Denim Jackets‘ I might have actually planned my design…….. but then that wouldn’t really be practicing, and my practice sessions were quite fun. Most of all I loved customizing the colors of the machine’s designs.
The subdued botanical designs became an explosion of color using the many lovely hues of Coats and Clarks embroidery threads.

IMG_6085

Take the butterfly for example. On the left is the illustration, and on the right in the photo you can see the large fantasy butterfly I embroidered using pinks and reds.

IMG_6088 IMG_0115 3

 

The 47 small flowers are individual designs. Though I could place several on the screen, the machine stitches one at a time, using a different thread for each flower and each center. In order not to change the thread 94 times, the center of each flower became the color of the next flower. Not only did this make it a little easier, but the decision provided a subtle continuity of color throughout the flowers.

The large agapanthus was the first embroidery application on the jacket and the rest seemed to blossom around it 😉

I might describe the back of the jacket as delightfully haphazard with off-center dragonflies and gigantic butterflies, but oh well……. it’s colorful, cheerful, and I learned along the way.

IMG_0099At some point between the back and front of the jacket, I took a lesson from the dealer and learned to apply Pfaff’s “Precise Positioning” feature. This feature allows you to place a design on an exact spot on your fabric which I understood very well by the time I reached the front.

For the front, I used the image below on each side, and mirrored it for balance.

IMG_6070

Placement was key, but I easily positioned the design so the two sides were perfectly even. Again, I paid little attention to the suggested colors, improvising throughout.

IMG_0114 2

 

I also used this opportunity to experiment with stabilizers. I tried cut-away, tear-away and water soluble stabilizers. My preferred stabilizer for this project was the tear-away which was a good weight for the heavy fabric and easier to remove than the cut-away.

In closing I can only think of Picasso’s quote ~
“I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.”

IMG_0104

Reaching a comfort level is always a good feeling….. as long as we don’t become too comfortable 😉

Until soon!

4 thoughts on “All Things Bright and Beautiful!

    • goodbyevalentino Post authorReply

      Indeed I did, DJ! Since I had no expectations I was free to improvise 🙂

  1. Melissa Reilly Reply

    Really beautiful work – I’d be willing to bet someone tries to buy it off your back. I love your blog, BTW!

    • goodbyevalentino Post authorReply

      Thank you so much, Melissa! I’ve had a few requests, but this baby is a labor of love – it’s not going anywhere 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *