Designed by Linda Turner Griepentrog
If your resolution is to cut back on sugary snacks, these no-calorie donuts can serve as a fun reminder of your new quest. Just stack them up on a small plate and watch co-workers do a double-take.
Finished Size of Project: 4” (10.16cm) diameter
Coats Dual Duty XP All-purpose threads- to match
3 rectangles assorted colors brown felt, 9” x 12” (22.86cm x 30.48cm), for donuts
1 rectangle each white and light pink felt, 9” x 12” (22.86cm x 30.48cm), for frostings
Assorted seed and other small beads
Polyester fiberfill stuffing
Make the Pattern
Draw a 4” (10.16cm) diameter circle and center a 1” (2.54cm) circle inside it. Cut out the large circle and the inner circle.
From each brown felt, cut:
From the frosting felt colors, cut:
3 donuts total
Making the Donuts
- Trim each frosting with random curved edges ¼” to ½” (.64cm-1.27cm) smaller than the donut size.
- Pin a frosting on the donut top, aligning the center hole. Using a narrow zigzag and matching thread, sew around the outer frosting edges.
- Hand-stitch beads randomly on the frosting as sprinkles.
- Layer two matching donut shapes wrong sides together, matching raw edges. Using a narrow zigzag and matching thread, sew around the inner hole. Sew around the outer circle, leaving a 1” (2.54cm) opening.
- Using a chopstick or other small stuffing tool, stuff the donut firmly, pushing stuffing around the entire circle. Hand- or machine stitch the opening closed.