Betz White creates adorable things in felt and this cute, cute Ho Ho Sew! Sewing Machine Ornament is perfect for the holidays. This little charmer has so many possibilities! Make lots of them and create a sewing machine ornament garland for the tree or a mobile for a friend’s sewing room. Choose felt colors to personalize them like the sewing machines your friends own or use them as package ties for the handmade gifts you give this year. And, sew on . . .
The instructions are nicely illustrated with full size templates and easy to follow step-by-step directions. I love the tips Betz included with the pattern.including a great tip on how to quickly “fluff” your wool felt so it looks even more wooly. I know I’m going to enjoy making little Sewing Machine Ornament all through the year!
More thoughts and ideas:
- Does your guild have a Christmas Party? Wouldn’t these be fun to use as a make ‘n take-home craft activity? Or do you need something to do with the kids during the holiday season? A crafty Grams, Auntie or neighbor would love having a sewing machine handmade by your littles and if you leave out the wee bit of decorative stitching, it’s totally no-sew!
- Betz version of the Sewing Machine Ornament includes a tiny bit of embroidery. If you’re new to hand stitching, you’ll find a helpful basic stitch tutorial at the end of her pattern. But, if you’d rather use your sewing machine, a little machine embroidery or decorative stitching using Coats Metallic Thread in gold or silver would be a wonderful way to add a bit of holiday sparkle.
- The pattern calls for Aleene’s Tacky Glue – a great choice for this kind of project. If you can’t find Aleene’s, one of my fave glues for felt is Fabri-Tac, Just make sure you use a glue that is designed to glue fabric to fabric.
- The “machine needle” on the sample Betz made is a hat pin. A flower or button topped quilting pin would be perfect, too. Just make sure it’s the length the pattern calls for!
- The finished ornament is about 2-1/2” in diameter. If you’d like a larger sewing machine, head for your nearest copy center with the template portion of the pattern and ask them to help you enlarge it. A larger sewing machine would make a fun little wall hanging to give as a gift, too!
Click here to visit Betz White’s Etsy site and purchase the PDF download for her Ho Ho Sew! Sewing Machine Ornament. It’s a quick, fun project and by the time you can say “cut, glue, stitch”, you’ll be almost done!