McCall’s 7543 has been on my summer sewing list since its release!
An off-the-shoulder top with gathered shoulders and elastic pulled tight across the chest and back, the top gives the appearance of nice clean lines…
not to mention a little bonus; the nice tight pull across the chest also prevents gaping.
After finishing an experimental embroidered denim jacket, I was ready to embroider a project with an intentional design.
Is this thread color not p e r f e c t ? Coats and Clark Embroidery Thread in TANGO was the same hue but a deeper value than the fabric. I couldn’t resist!
I tried two designs before settling on a motif from the Pfaff Embroidery book which came with my machine.
Once selected I stitched the design twice on the front and once one the front sleeves.
To embroider, I attached a water soluble stabilizer to the hoop, then attached the linen to the stabilizer with GUNOLD KK100, a temporary adhesive.
I marked the center of the front bodice with a Frixion pen and placed the top stitch of the image just under the elastic casing.
I flipped and repeated the image for symmetry, but outsmarted myself … for had I not flipped the image I could have embroidered the front from top to bottom by repeating the pattern twice in the same direction.
After the embroidery was complete, the pattern pieces were placed in a sink of lukewarm water until the stabilizer dissolved.
The result is a design that is a pretty on the inside as the outside 🙂
To embroider the sleeves, I also chose the same starting point just underneath the elastic casing, and I’m loving the pattern’s two-piece tied sleeves!
I removed 2″ from the fullest part of the bodice along the side seams to avoid bulkiness in this fabric, but I will leave the pattern as is if I sew it in a lightweight knit, voile or silk.
So here it is, a custom embroidered top that I’m loving, and one that I’m ready to sew again…. and with thread like this…..I’m going to embroider the front AND the back!
All the best 🙂