Add a little pizzazz to a zippered bag with contrasting zipper and topstitching. Two simple notions- thread and zipper – add style to a basic design. Coordinating a solid and print fabric adds to the look. The extended tabs on the zipper lets the bag open wide for easy access to what’s inside.
Designed by: Lori Harder
Skill level: Beginner/Easy
Crafting time: An Evening
Finished Project Size: 13.25” x 6.5” (33.5 cm x 16.5 cm)
Coats Dual Duty XP All Purpose Thread, contrasting color same as zipper – 1 spool
Coats All Purpose Zipper, 12” (30.5 cm), contrasting color – 1
1/3 yd (30.5 cm) Lining and top fabric
1/4 yd (23 cm) Bottom fabric
1/4 yd (23 cm) Medium weight iron on interfacing
(2) Lining fabric – 11.5” x 9” (29 cm x 23 cm)
(2) Top fabric same as lining – 11.5” x 4.5” (29 cm x 4.5 cm)
(2) Bottom fabric – 11.5” x 5.5” (29 cm x 5.5 cm)
(2) 2” x 3” Rectangles of bottom fabric for tabs
All seam allowances are 1/2” (1.25 cm).
- Press zipper on Polyester setting.
- On top sections, mark a dot at top corners 1/2” away from top edge and adjacent side on seam line on wrong side of fabric. With right sides together stitch one top and bottom together. Press seam up and edgestitch along top section. Topstitch 1/4” from edge making a double row of topstitching. Repeat step 2 for the other side of the cosmetic bag.
- To stitch zipper to top of bag, use a zipper foot. At top of top section, center zipper over right side of fabric, coil side down, matching edge of zipper to edge of fabric. The pull tab of zipper should be on the left. The top and bottom of zipper will extend beyond outside edges of bag on either side about 1”. Pin along top edge, pulling top of zipper away from edge of fabric and bottom of zipper away from edge of fabric. Pin in place. The top and bottom of zipper should be below dots marked on corners in step 2 so they are not caught in stitching. Baste ¼” away from edge of zipper, avoiding catching top and bottom of zipper and allowing for a gradual curve where zipper breaks away from edge of fabric about 1 ½” from top and bottom of zipper. Place this assembly, zipper side down on top edge of lining, right side of lining and bag facing together. Pin along top edge. Stitch over basting line ¼” away from edge being careful not to catch top and bottom of zipper in seam. Fold so wrong sides of bag and lining are touching and press. Repeat step 3 for other side of bag along opposite side of zipper.
- Open zipper half way. Fold out bag so right sides of bag are facing in and right sides of lining are facing in with zipper in the middle. Fold in zipper ends and pin so when stitching outside edge, zipper ends will not get caught in seam. Stitch around outside edge leaving a 5” opening at bottom of lining.
- Box corners by pinching each corner together matching adjacent seams. Use a ruler and marker to mark a line perpendicular to the side seam 3 1/2” long. Stitch along this line and trim seam to ½”. Stitch all 4 corners in this manner.
- Turn bag right side out through opening in lining, pulling zipper ends out. Press under 1/2” on raw edges of opening in lining and pin. Edgestitch sides of opening together.
- Edgestitch fabric around entire top opening next to zipper. Close zipper. Trim ends of zipper to ½” (1.25 cm).
- Take 2” x 3” (5 cm x 7.5 cm) rectangles and fold in short ends ½” (1.25 cm) to wrong side. Press. Fold in long sides ½” (1.25 cm) to wrong side and press. Fold rectangle in half and press so it measures 1” x 1” (1/25 cm x 1/25 cm).
- Slip end of tab onto bottom end of zipper tape with sides wrapped around zipper end. Be sure to cover the metal zipper stop leaving enough room to edgestitch tab over coil without hitting the metal bottom stop with the needle. Starting at one side of zipper, edgestitch tab over coil and around rest of tab and stitch across zipper coil again. Do this same technique for top of zipper covering top stops leaving enough room to edgestitch tab over coils without hitting metal top stops. Tip: It may be easier to tack two sides of zipper tape at top, right above zipper slider so they will stay together while fitting and stitching the tab over top of zipper tape.
Click HERE for Downloadable Pattern.